AboutWe provide a full-service range in several areas
As a foreign national from another Member State of the European Union, you may apply for Portuguese nationality if you meet certain conditions, such as:
- You were born in Portugal
- You have Portuguese parents or grandparents. For the children to be granted Portuguese Nationality, the parents only have to hold a residency permit in the country for one year. Regarding grandchildren, the second-degree descendants, the need to show an effective connection to Portugal can now be proven through knowledge of the Portuguese language. This means that it is no longer necessary to provide evidence of ties with Portugal or the existence of regular contacts with the country.
- You are married to a Portuguese person (Acquisition in case of marriage or non-marital partnership) A foreign national married to a Portuguese national for over three years may acquire Portuguese nationality, by submitting a statement to that effect through marriage. A foreign national who has lived in a non-marital partnership with a Portuguese national for over three years may acquire Portuguese nationality, after it has been recognised in a Civil Court.
- You have lived legally in Portugal for at least 5 years
- Descendants of Portuguese Sephardic Jews, provided they demonstrate the tradition of belonging to a Sephardic community of Portuguese origin, based on proving connection to Portugal, namely surnames, family language, direct or collateral descent.
- Children who are minors or incapacitated of a mother or father who has acquired Portuguese nationality may also acquire it, by submitting a declaration to that effect.
- Minors born in the Portuguese territory, of foreign parents. For the children to be granted Portuguese Nationality, the parents only have to hold a residency permit in the country for one year.
- Individuals that had Portuguese nationality, lost it and have never acquired another nationality.
- Nationality acquisition by adoption: A child that is fully adopted by a Portuguese national acquires Portuguese nationality.
- Acquisition by declaration made during incapacity. Those who have lost Portuguese nationality through a declaration made during their incapacity can acquire it when they are capable, by submitting a declaration to that effect.
The procedures for applying for nationality may differ depending on the place where you were born, how many years you have lived in Portugal, the nationality of your family members, your relationship with the Portuguese community, etc.
Do you have any questions?
For more information and individual advice on obtaining Portuguese citizenship, fill out our feedback form or contact us by phone or e-mail and we will help you with any questions you might have.
Committed to quality
Why choose us